IRS TAX TIP 2015-15
In most cases you get your W-2 forms by the end of January. Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, shows your income and the taxes withheld from your pay for the year. You need your W-2 form to file an accurate tax return.
If you haven’t received your form by mid-February, here’s what you should do:
- Contact your employer. Ask your employer (or former employer) for a copy. Be sure that they have your correct address.
- After Feb. 23. If you can’t get a copy from your employer, call the IRS at 800-829-1040 after Feb. 23. The IRS will send a letter to your employer on your behalf. You’ll need the following when you call:
- Your name, address, Social Security number and phone number;
- Your employer’s name, address and phone number;
- The dates you worked for the employer; and
- An estimate of your wages and federal income tax withheld in 2014. You can use your final pay stub for these amounts.
Originally published by the IRS. If you have problems with incorrectly reported W-2, 1099, or other income, call Kevin Sayed, J.D., LL.M. Taxation, at 252-321-2020.